Saturday 15 September 2012

Back in Finland after my visit home

15th September 2012

It's been a while since I last posted anything.

I've been back in the UK visiting family.

The kids are great and I miss them deeply. My older boy Jun did brilliantly in his 'A' level exams and got into the university of his choice, Sheffield, to read economics.

I've got a great family and I am always thinking of them; Jun, Sean, Eli, Mum, Dad, Katie, Al, Soph. All of them.

...

My father was diagnosed with cancer and had been receiving treatment since March. He was hospitalised due to an infection following chaemotherapy. It really took it out of him and he was greatly weakened.

I managed to get back a couple of days before he returned home. As he was pushed up the path in a wheel chair, my heart stopped. He looked so thin and frail and there was concern about his faculties - we needn't have worried about that though.

Over the course of three weeks or so, we managed to get him back on his feet and exercising a little to get the strength back into his atrophied legs. After three weeks in hospital, the muscle had just slipped off his body. He graduated from a Zimmer frame to a walking stick and was venturing about without any aid when he tripped over and hurt himself.

His confidence took a big knock and he gave up for a while. It must be frustrating being mentally alert and having been previously so active in the garden and in his pottery studio but not being able to get about - the mind being strong but the body being unable.

He got back up but is more down than up.

It's a big shock for all of us but especially mum to see the big strong man who played such a leading role in our lives reduced to thin legs in baggy pyjamas.

I love you dad. We all do and our thoughts are with you always.

No comments:

Post a Comment