Wednesday 31 October 2012

From Sophie

Dear dad,

I am so glad you were my dad; we had such great family adventures together.

We were all so lucky to have parents like the two of you. I wish I were able to give my children the colourful, varied, fantastic childhood that you gave to us.

We were different to the other expat families; we broke the rules.

You showed genuine kindness and compassion to many Gambian people.

You didn't send me away to boarding school, I stayed with you. Other families may have thought you had done the wrong thing, but I learned so much from that experience, I am so grateful

I know what it feels like to be a minority; I was the only white girl in my school; you can't learn that every day.

Thank you dad for showing me all walks of life, experiences, the landscapes, the culture, the smells!

What a fantastic childhood.

Who else spent weekends in the mountains, motor boat rides to islands, yacht races and sat around fires chatting to the night watchman with chickens to chase in the garden?

Those memories are so precious.

You taught us to think outside the box. Normal is boring.

We are different but not so different. We are, I hope, still acceptable.

We Cox's try to get on with all sorts.

I feel you have taught us to empathise. I learnt that because you were an honourable man with a great sense of justice and values.

Your continued support and care of Ebrima and his family, who were our extended Gambian family, was unprecedented.

If I can teach my three children such lessons, I would feel proud as both you and mum should.

Thank you for being my beautiful dad and thank you for marrying my wonderful little mum.

You are a hard act to follow and we will always miss you.

Love you dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment