Sunday 4 March 2012

Riga to Vaasa

16th February
Thursday
1800

We arrive at Riga where I need to transfer. On landing, the doors open and we disembark to walk across the frozen runway. It's bitterly cold and slippery underfoot. How did they manage to land this plane without it sliding out of control?

It's about 6 O'Clock local time and I go upstairs to Costa and order a sandwich and a coffee - the first food since 7 this morning. I finish my sandwich and take my coffee to the glass-enclosed smoking space in the corner of the sitting area. It seems that smokers are treated in a more civilized manner than we are used to in England.

As I am flying within the EU I can't buy duty free cigarettes so I buy duty paid Latvian Marlboro Lights (no rolling tobacco here) and make my way to the departure lounge. I board the Focker 50 turbo prop straight away and find my window seat right next to the prop engine. This is going to be a noisy flight but thank God it's not too far to Vaasa.

No comments:

Post a Comment