Sunday 4 March 2012

Vaasa, Finland

We land at Vaasa in the dark. The runway is covered in a blanket of snow.

As we taxi along, I see snaking wisps of smoke-like snow blowing across the runway. A little snow doesn't stop anything here.

The Focker comes to a standstill, the engines are cut and immediately stop - silence. The doors open and we are invited to walk across the runway. Thankfully, I had the foresight to put on my ski trousers and coat before descending and making my way to arrivals. I enter through a couple of sets of glass doors and find myself right bang in the middle of the tiny arrivals hall with a single small and as yet stationary baggage carousel. Through the glass doors, I can see a small crowd of expectant well wishers here to collect loved ones. I can't see Tiina, who I had spoken to on Skype once before. I am not worried. I know what she looks like. She said she would be here to collect me.

The carousel kicks in and our baggage starts to fall onto it from outside. My bags are among the first to come through and they are both together. I pick them up, walk through the glass doors and the desks for customs (hardly noticeable, but I'm sure I saw a green circle) and immediately see Tiina. No chance for a surreptitious smoke before we make our way to the car. Her father is here to drive. Apparently, he didn't trust his daughter to drive and talk at the same time in what would be quite treacherous conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment